Here’s the weekly roundup #22.06 for you across the GNU/Linux and tech world.
Welcome to the DebugPoint Weekly roundup #22.06, where you can find all the happenings from this week, mainly from the Linux and open-source space. It’s been an eventful week where many app updates arrive, whereas some significant releases from Distros and desktops.
Here’s what happened this week.
DebugPoint Weekly Roundup #22.06
🎯 Spotlight updates from GNU/Linux
- Work started to fix the brightness control work for Linux Kernel to solve the long-pending problem with brightness, announced in Linux Plumbers Conferences (LPC) 2022. [read the paper]
- Linux Kernel 6.0 – RC6 is out (final release expected in early October). [read more]
- NVIDIA open sources CV-CUDA library for end-to-end computer vision and image processing pipelines. [read more]
- AlmaLinux (community owned CentOS replacement) selects first board. [read more]
- Ubuntu discards any possibility of having Flatpak package of the new Flutter-based Software app. [read more]
📌 Top Articles this week from DebugPoint
🖥️ Desktop Environment and Linux Distro
- GNOME 43 released with new features. Read the release coverage.
- Google Summer of Code 2022 (GSOC 2022) brings new features to Xfce apps. [read more]
- MX-21.2.1 released (minor) with Grub updates from Debian Linux. [read more]
- ExTiX 22.9 Released. [read more]
- $MLinux 41.0 series BETA is out. Final release is due soon. [read more]
🔖 Application Updates
- Avidemux video editor is out with 2.8.1, bringing audio, video and several updates. [read more]
- FileZilla Client 3.61.0 is released as a minor bug fix update. [read more]
- Krita drawing app gets Intel as the Gold Sponsor for development fund. [read more]
- Firefox 105 Released with gesture based navigation (Win only) [read more]
💡 Interesting updates across the web
- Systemd now available in Windows 11 and you can actually run Snap apps. [read more]
- Framework laptop manufacturer and Google ties up to develop a Chromebook. [read more]
- Rust-based FreeBSD Kernel is developed as POC. [read more]
That’s about this week’s weekly roundup #22.06. Please let me know in the comment box if you know some exciting news stories we might have missed this week.
See you in the next round-up. Happy weekend.